Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Mexican War - February 7, 2008

Agenda:
1. The Mexican-American War (pg 18)
2. Texas War compared to Mexican War (pg 19)
HW: Manifest Destiny Perspectives (pg 20)

Today we transitioned from one war and right into the next. The Texians won their war for independence against Mexico in 1836, but the US government wasn't quite ready to invite Texas into the Union. Northern Congressman were concerned that bringing a new slave state into the Union would upset the balance between slave and free states in the Senate.

President James K. Polk made a campaign promise to bring both Oregon and Texas into the Union. President John Tyler beat Polk to it as he signed an agreement to peacefully settle the Oregon dividing line with Britain at the 49th parallel.

Polk set his eyes on Texas, and the US annexed the Lone Star State in 1845. The Texas matter wasn't settled with Santa Anna, and the new American maps claiming the Rio Grande as Texas' southern border infuriated the Mexican leader. Mexico insisted that Texas' southern border was the Nueces River.

Polk sent General Zachary Taylor across the Nueces River to show Santa Anna that we intended to protect our territory and our boundaries, and the Mexican-American War began.

RVI

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Ippolito ...I just heard on the news that Mitt Romney is dropping out of the race!! Well i just saw that ..so i decided to leave you a comment! Well see you on Monday!!!

- Lauren Clark =}

Ron Ippolito said...

Lauren,

I also saw that on the news. It looks like it's down to a two-man race for the Republican ticket, and Mike Huckabee has a long way to go if he's going to catch up to McCain at this point. Staying in the race, however, could set Huckabee up for a VP nomination. We will see! Thanks for following the race!

RVI

Anonymous said...

Mr. Ippolito ... just wondering if you are going to post the podcast today or tomorrow. Thank you.

- Mandy Moseley

Ron Ippolito said...

I'll post the podcast as soon as I can. I have a 103-degree fever right now, so I'm feeling pretty miserable. As soon as I can muster the energy, I will record it and post it.

RVI

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I hope you feel better. Don't rush the podcast. Talk to you on Monday.

- Mandy

Ron Ippolito said...

Thanks so much, Mandy. I'm hoping I'll be back at school on Monday, but it's possible you may have a sub. I will do my best to get healthy quickly.

RVI